Wednesday, October 10, 2012

World Mental Health Day

Today, October 10th, is World Mental Health Day. The World Health Organization has identified Depression as the focus for this year. Globally, depression is the second greatest burden of disease affecting 350 million people worldwide.

For a Myalgia Mommie depression is a little black dog that is always nipping at our heels. I have found that we have an amazing weapon against it: our children.

True clinical depression takes clinical intervention and is so overwhelming that when an individual is in the throws of the disease, even our darling children can't reach through. This post is about "Mental Wellness," a crucial part of life that we do everyday and that keeps us going as Myalgia Mommies.

Most of the activities of finding a daily moment of beauty, engaging in an activity that gives us joy and finding pleasure in simple acts, we have adopted as a way of life. Studies have shown, and health professionals call this, mental wellness.

Recent research into my myalgia, "fibromyalgia," has shown that medication alone will not diminish symptoms and a holistic approach including these lifestyle changes is needed to address symptoms.

My darling baby is waking up. She is my daily joy and the reason this blog has so few posts.

I hope all you Myalgia Mommies have a chance to sit down with a cup of tea today, smile to yourself, congratulate yourself for mindful self-care, and bask in the beauty that you are. My tea party will be me and my baby, and we will toast you.

If it is possible to gain strength and support knowing that you are part of a greater web of women quietly trying to live with grace through a similar circumstance, then this blog has served it's purpose.

Please share a picture or short description of your cup of tea.

Hopefully today we will put up some pumpkin lights and have a photo worthy of sharing.

XO
ALJ

2 comments:

  1. The most obvious signs of depression is withdraw and sinking moods.
    Surwit notes also that: "The change is nearly as large as you would expect to see from some diabetes-control drugs".
    alone, depressive disorders affect approximately
    18.
    Also visit my web site - depression in women

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for leaving a comment. I visited your blog but there wasn't a place to leave a comment. Sadly, I think depression goes hand in hand with chronic conditions for women.

    Through the course of my own illness I have struggled with minor depression (not capital D clinical but bouts of sadness) as I came to terms with the fact that I would have to modify my goals and plans around the new reality that disease made for my life.

    Best wishes for your journey.

    Anna-Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate everyone who reads and has something to add to our community.

Popular Posts