Monday, February 13, 2017

Valentines from Africa

It's been a few years since my traditional Valentines Day blog. 

Even in Africa my tree is still up. I haven't managed to organize my usual mailing this year. Instead, I’ve been inspired to write poetry again lately and I’ve decided to share it here as my Valentine’s Day gift to you. The first poem was inspired by our new life as an Embassy family living in Niger.  We are strangers in a strange land. So I wrote this poem about kindness: 

The Feather of Kindness

A feather fell from one of my dear ones cages
“An Angel is near.” she said with a smile of love


She sees feathers everywhere.


I found a pile of feathers in our new home

Are angels everyday acts of grace by friends?


I was profoundly grateful.

We saw a feather on the playground 
She said: “Don’t touch that, it’s filthy!”


Did I miss your kindness?


We try to do our daily act of good

to help who we can and those I love


I find feathers everyday.


Here in this desert Oasis I have seen such wonderful

exotic birds, I can’t wait to explore...


What feathers have you found?





This second poem is my gift to everyone. Especially myself. 



The Bubbles of Forgiveness 

Forgiveness is like Champagne 
when you truly feel it and let go of
all those knots of fury into light
and then it just bubbles and bubbles 

and floats away

The euphoric feeling of bubbles 
Reaching like a child to hold forgiveness
Laughing at how easy all the anger 
was to simply let go, like so many

Bubbles on the wind

Champagne impedes dementia they’ve
found and so I’ve put my faith as always 
in the magic of science
I only drink Champagne and always savor it for the bubbles

I’m believe this forgiveness will have some 
Salubrious effect on my mind, but I 
Know that bubbling away that anger was good for my soul

Bring on more Champers!






Happy Valentines Day, please have a glass of something bubbly and try the euphoric feeling of forgiveness if you haven't lately. It has done me a world of good. 

This year I didn’t mail many cards, I’m still getting settled, but do know that I am thinking of you constantly and sending all my best. 

ALJ



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate everyone who reads and has something to add to our community.

Popular Posts